I rather like binge watching TV and having lazy days but they are few and far between. Even when the opportunity does arrive. I feel guilty but I shouldn't! Being on vacation, I actually have that opportunity. I spent the day with a good friend, a good view, and HBOGo. Here are a few reasons you should embrace your lazy days.
1. It's probably a sign. Our body is always sending our messages and we send a lot of time ignoring them. So, when our body is telling us, "lets do nothing" , it probably is overworked, under slept, mentally taxed, or just generally needing rest.
2. Your brain needs entertainment. I truly believe that some days we need to actually allow ourselves to be in a bit of a vegetable state. We are always worrying about our jobs, our romantic lives, having to run to the DMV, needing to write a blog post etc. and we need to turn that off. When we are engaged in entertainment, it allows us to escape into another world. That's one of the reasons that the film industry continued to do well through The Great Depression and World War II.
3. It gives us time to decompress. I laughed my butt off with my friends the past few days while not doing anything. We had nothing on the agenda but to relax and ended up drinking a bit of wine, talking about our lives, laughing at our lives, and dancing to Beyoncé.
4. Speaking of laughter, you get an opportunity to act like a kid if you want. During my binge of The Newsroom, I ended up making a fort with my friend and we had very particular rules about leaving the front. Bathroom breaks and answering the door for the delivery man was acceptable and later, I amended this to also include grabbing tea. But we need this moments to find the joy in ourselves. Just like climbing a mountain reminds you of your inner strength, a day of nothing reminds you of your inner child.
5. Lastly, you need to rest. If you are pushing yourself constantly to go to meetings, work out, get organized, etc. you never get a chance to breathe (unless you're a yogi, then continue). We need to be able to sit, read, watch TV, have some solace from the world that we force ourselves to live in order to be successful or whatever your reason. Nothing is better for us then a balanced life and without rest days we are not balanced.