I don't know a thing about love. You would think with a fine helping of failed relationships, a marriage, and living the life of a hopeful romantic, I would know all about love. But at the end of the day, it stumps me every time. There are a few things I do know and this is what I can say:
1. Love can be the single most rewarding act you will bring into your life whether as a friend, a lover, or a parent.
2. Sometimes love is a measure of time or the chapters in your book.
3. Love makes no sense.
4. Love can absolutely destroy you but even when it is beyond all logic, we go back to love.
5. Love is the cure for pain, hurt, and bad days.
6. Self love is the biggest gift you will ever gift yourself.
7. Freud was absolutely right when he said "Human beings are funny. They long to be with the person they love but refuse to admit openly. Some are afraid to show even the slightest sign of affection because of fear. Fear that their feelings may not be recognized, or even worst, returned. But one thing about human beings puzzles me the most is their conscious effort to be connected with the object of their affection even if it kills them slowly within."
8. Love has been the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced.
9. Good love empowers you.
10. Bad love terrorizes your life, keeps you up at night, and ages you.
11. There are times when your favorite love films with make you call the television a liar and other times when you swear this is what you are experiencing.
12. Sometimes, you'll think it's forever.
13. When you meet forever (whether it's a lover or holding your child for the first time), you'll know. It's a whole different world. The noise of anything that came before will melt away.
14. It's okay to let it in even when it hurts to open up.